Legendary Film & Television Director John Singleton Has Been Taken Off Life Support

by Krystal Franklin

April 29, 2019

Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images

Almost two weeks after John Singleton‘s reported “mild” stroke, the family of the legendary film and television revealed he has been taken off life support. Singleton was 51.

In a statement to Deadline, the family said, “We want to thank the amazing doctors at Cedars-Sinai Hospital for their expert care and kindness and we again want thank all of John’s fans, friends and colleagues for all of the love and support they showed him during this difficult time.” Fearing the end was near, last week reports said, “John’s mom, Shelia Ward, is asking a judge to appoint her temporary conservator because he is “unable to properly provide for his personal needs for physical health, food, clothing, or shelter.” His mother said, at the time he suffered the stroke, he was engaged in several business projects and was prepared to sign a lucrative settlement agreement. She wants to handle those affairs and execute the settlement agreement.”

Photo by Thaddaeus McAdams/FilmMagic

According to reports “the 51-year-old checked himself in earlier this week after experiencing weakness in his leg. A family member tells TMZ, John had flown back from Costa Rica and the plane flight may have triggered the medical emergency.”

Known for his iconic cult classics including Boyz ‘N The HoodBaby BoyPoetic Justice and Higher Learning, the Los Angeles native has been nominated for two Oscars and most recently introduced the world to Snowfall on FX, starring Damson Idris.

Photo by Steve Granitz/WireImage

Our prayers and thoughts are with the entire family.

Like TV One on Facebook and be sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter.

 

MORE BLOGS