March 19, 2018
Photo by Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for Roc Nation
For nearly three decades, Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs has solidified his stamp on every part of the world. From apparel and music to spirits and water, the 48-year-old is now taking his talents into the tech world.
In his newest interview with GQ, the music mogul revealed he and JAY-Z are working on an app aimed at showing, “black-owned and black-friendly business” in “any given city”.
The GQ cover star said, “This is not about taking away from any other community,” he said. “We’ll still go to Chinatown. We’ll still buy Gucci!” He laughed. “But the application will make it possible for us to have an economic community. It’s about blacks gaining economic power.” He and Jay-Z have been talking about this, he said, about moving the race forward actively, by means of: making a lot of money and putting it back into the community.”
“I don’t believe in passiveness. At some point there has to be some kind of fight. I feel like we’ve done a lot of marching. It’s time to start charging.”
The Bad Boy CEO and the Roc-A-Fella head honcho are no stranger to collaborating and even competing against one another. Earlier this year, Forbes named JAY the highest paid rapper in hip-hop with a net worth of $900 million. Over the years the pair have alternated between the number one and two spots on the quest for the genres first billionaire.
Say what you will about how JAY and others like him may have started in this business (insert Raven-Symoné‘s ridiculous comments last month), but this is black excellence and you can’t be mad at that.
TELL US: Are you here JAY and Diddy’s new app?
Like TV One on Facebook and be sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter.