Homelessness in America is a growing issue that can often be overlooked. Over 500,000 people are experiencing homelessness on a given night. Terrence Lester founded Love Beyond Walls, a social justice and advocacy organization, to fight against this epidemic and he is just getting started!
I’m walking from Atlanta all the way to Memphis so people who are deemed unworthy are seen as worthy.
In honor of the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on the 50th anniversary of his assassination, Love Beyond Walls in partnership with The Center for Civil and Human Rights has launched the second March Against Poverty in Atlanta, Georgia. The 386-mile journey began on Saturday and will go until April 4th, with marchers traveling on-foot from Atlanta, to Memphis, Tennessee!
“This isn’t a hobby for me,” Lester said about the organization. “I was once a high-school dropout, living as a homeless teenager out of the trunk of my car.”
Terrence had a turning point after his homelessness struggle, and went on to earn an associate’s degree in Media Production from American InterContinental University (2005), a Bachelor of Arts in Pastoral Leadership from Atlanta Bible College (2008), a Masters of Education in Counseling from Liberty University (2010) and a Masters of Arts in Theological Studies also from Liberty University (2012).
Now, he is using education to empower others who are currently experiencing the struggle that he overcame.
“It was total strangers that came alongside me and inspired to overcome my challenges, and I want to be that same stranger to other people.”
The activist’s hope is to gain national and governmental attention, and to bring the conversation of how to change policy towards fighting homelessness to the table.
“This march is a testament to the legacy of Dr. King and to shed light on the millions of people across the nation from all walks of life and nationalities who experience the harsh realities of homelessness and poverty. It is time for the next generation to pick up the baton and we are on the frontlines to leading the charge,” said Lester in a release.
The March kicked off on Saturday at The Center for Civil and Human Rights and is happening now!
TELL US: Will you be joining the march with Love Beyond Walls?
1. Janelle Monae speaks onstage during the rally at the Women's March on Washington
1 of 33
2. Facts!!! Women's marches happening right now on 7 continents. #shespeaks #womensmarch
2 of 33
3. Nina Jones is participating in the Women's March in Atlanta.
3 of 33
4. We march. #womensmarch
4 of 33
5. Signs from the #WomensMarch being left at the Metro Center Station. #WashingtonDC #IGDC @womensmarch
5 of 33
6. The #WomensMarch fills Pennsylvania Ave in Washington DC. #igdc @womensmarch
6 of 33
7. It had to be about 500-600K out there at National Mall today. Everyone was nice, polite and wonderful. It took me about a hour to get out the crowd just to bounce. Even after bumping people and stepping on toes, people was smiling and polite. Just happy to be a part of an incredible event. Maybe an event like this will help people understand you can change the system to what YOU want it to be. Maybe it won't and people are just doing this just cause.Either way man, this was a wonderful experience. My bad for bumping into you #AngelaDavis #WomensMarch #WhyIMarch #RadioOneLife #WMW #ImTired
7 of 33
8. No matter where you were today... We sent a powerful message! I'm proud of everyone all over the world who gathered with such dignity and strength to send the message that we won't stop until we are heard! #WomensMarch #WhyIMarch #WomensRightsAreHumanRights #WeAreHere
8 of 33
9. Today was a day of sisterhood and no matter where you were today we stood together in solidarity!! #WomensMarch #WhyIMarch #WomensRightsAreHumanRights #WeAreHere
11. #Zendaya & TeenVogue editor @elainewelteroth at the #WomensMarch in DC
11 of 33
12. Today I felt powerful. Marching with hundreds of thousands of women today reminded me that I am not alone in the fight for justice and equality. My sisters and I and all the other women of America will not be silenced even when it seems the whole world is against us. We will stand up and fight back!#womensmarch
12 of 33
13. Like this in every direction #womensmarch #resisters
13 of 33
14. Rain for Trump, sunshine for Women's March...? This is only a fraction of the 100,000 that halted London. #womensmarch #womensmarchlondon #bridgesnotwalls
14 of 33
15. Such an extraordinary and powerful moment today in Grand Central Station waiting to march for human rights #manhattan #womensmarchnyc #wmnyc #womensmarch #whyimarch #resist #nyc #newyork #grandcentral #democracy #lovetrumpshate #womensrights #activism
15 of 33
16. What an incredible day for New York, cities all across the nation, and around the world. The support today was overwhelming and beautiful. Don't get comfortable & keep the fight going from here on out. ?✨✊??.....#WomensMarch #WomensMarchNYC #NYC #unity #heretostay #silenceisviolence #speakup #spreadlove #notmypresident
16 of 33
17. Women's march in DC. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••#humanrights #womensrights #womensmarchonwashington #womensmarch #dc #sticktogether #family #familyphoto
17 of 33
18. One of my few photos that gives any sense of the crowds. #womensmarch #womensmarchla #womensmarchlosangeles #dtla
22. We will not rest until women have parity and equity at all levels. #WomensMarch ?: @zianthe_eyes
22 of 33
23. Protesters take part in a rally in Melbourne, Australia against Donald Trump's inauguration. The marches in Australia were organized to show solidarity with those marching around the world in defense of women's rights and human rights. (? by Wayne Taylor/Getty Images)
23 of 33
24. #WomensMarch protesters hold signs at the #BrandenburgGate in #Berlin. Protests are planned around the world today (?: Steffi Loos/Getty Images)
24 of 33
25. Thousands have taken to the streets of #London for #WomensMarch (?: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
25 of 33
26. #WomensMarch attendees gather near the #EiffelTower in #Paris (?: ERIC FEFERBERG/AFP/Getty Images)
26 of 33
27. This is what it looks like on the National Mall in #Washington, DC during #WomensMarch today (?: ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP/Getty Images)
27 of 33
28. These people in Antarctica are joining in the #womensmarch. (?: Women's March - Antarctic Peninsula)
28 of 33
29. In New York City, the flood of demonstrators are putting car traffic at a standstill ?Protesters in the United States and around the world are joining marches Saturday to raise awareness of women's rights and other civil rights they fear could be under threat with Donald Trump's presidency. (? via @aboisture) #donaldtrump #womensmarch #newyorkcity
29 of 33
30 of 33
31. Wearing pink, pointy-eared "pussyhats" to mock the new president, tens of thousands of women massed in Washington and other cities around the globe for marches and demonstrations aimed at showing Donald Trump they won't be silent.Follow the Women's March on TIME.com and on our Instagram Story.Photograph by Adrees Latif (@adreeslatif)—@reuters.
31 of 33
32. Women's March Los Angeles 2017. To all the women around the world #womensmarch
32 of 33
33. To all the fathers out there.Today we have an opportunity to teach our sons how to be real men. To be the solution rather than part of the problem. To love, respect, and support those who gave life to us, nurtured and raised us. Today is an opportunity to teach our sons that being a feminist fortifies and confirms your identity as a man and your integrity as a human being.#RedNailsForWomen#BeARealMan#FeminismIsNotAThreatToYourManhood#WomensMarch#SupportingWomenIsSupportingHumanity
33 of 33
Continue reading ‘Love Beyond Walls’ Is Marching From Atlanta To Tennessee To Honor The Legacy Of Martin Luther King Jr.