by Krystal Franklin
June 5, 2017
(Photo by Samuel Corum/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)
What would you do if you won the lottery? Well if you’re the Smith family in Trenton, New Jersey, you give back in such a way that you make national news — again!
According to NJ.com, a year ago Pearlie Mae Smith and her seven adult children chose the cash option after winning a massive $429.6 million (that’s $284 million split eight ways). But it’s what they did next that surprised and inspired many in their community.
The family members gave a portion of their winnings to help start the Smith Family Foundation, a grant-making fund with a simple goal – make a difference in their hometown. The family has immediate plans to partner with organizations that share their same values of education, cultivation, transformation and urban ministry.
We can’t help but smile at what this family is doing! Near the area? A grand opening of its headquarters at 407 W. State St., Trenton, will be June 10 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
TELL US: What are the first three things you’d do if you won the lottery?
This Week In Celebrity Instagrams
26 photos Launch gallery
1. Niecy Nash: Ride or Die💙❤💙 @sherrieshepherd #MyAdidasParty #weddinganiversary 📸 @robertector
1 of 26
2. TI: We do this shit with NO EFFORT!!!! @tee_grizzley Rockin Wit da Gang!!!! #TheTurnIsReal #HustleGangTour LA We OTW!!!!!
2 of 26
3. Jurnee Smollett-Bell: What a gift to witness the genius that is @johnlegend. This voice!!! So grateful he shared his enormous gifts with us all tonight in Los Angeles at the Greek. One of the greatest to ever do it. Feel honored to have him a part of our #UndergroundWGN family. #inspired ❤❤ #darknessandlighttour #squad
3 of 26
4. Kevin Hart: #Family #NBAFINALS #liveloveandlaugh
4 of 26
5. The Rock: Thank you Germany for the luv. ✊🏾 We shut down production of #Rampage for two days so I could fly into Berlin to promote #Baywatch. Most ambitious 40hrs of work we've ever attempted -- but in the end, the luv and fun from the fans, journalist and press is the anchor I'll always need to fight thru the no sleep fatigue and of course a lil' shot or three of tequila helps too. 🥃A monster effort on both sides from Warner Bros and Paramount studios working together to pull this trip off successfully. Thank you to ALL teams involved in making this happen. My DJ power salute to a job well done. Thank you Paramount, Warner Bros, @flynnpictureco, @sevenbucksprod, @sevenbucksds, @garciacompanies & Team Rock. And most importantly, THANK YOU FANS. Grateful. #WheelsUp #JobDone #EuropeanPressTour #Baywatch ✊🏾
5 of 26
6. Tank: Sometimes it has to be broken down so you can learn a few things from a seasoned woman.. #RnBMoney #RnBSoldiers #TheGeneral #savagecomingsoon #huntsville 📸 @twelvepastseven
6 of 26
7. Porsha Williams: 😂 @realrickeysmiley reaction to @lodwill & I bikini pics was hilarious!! If you missed @dishnation you missed out on LOTS of laughs!🤣 *Check your local Listings *Airs every weekday 🙌🏾
7 of 26
8. Phaedra Parks: #TBT 2 weeks ago with my girl @tashacobbsleonard and our moms on the #mommyandme2k17 tour 😍❤️😍
8 of 26
9. Gabrielle Union: Starting to make the rounds with my book!!! #WereGoingToNeedMoreWine 🍷🍷🍷 Oct 17th can't come fast enough!
9 of 26
10. LeToya Luckett: Issa weddin weekend 👰🏽
10 of 26
11. Serena Williams: Music continues to influence athletes in so many different ways. Thanks to everyone that came last night! @beatsbydre #fortheloveofmusic
11 of 26
12. Michelle Williams: Look at last post before you look at this one!! Self: I'm so glad you decided to go out in the crowd to touch and be one with the people but ummmmmmm what's your plan to get back on stage? Me: I dunno, I'll just have to trust that a few beautiful souls will assist me! 📸: @beckywelfordphotography
12 of 26
13. Chris Brown: June 8th. Experience my life for real!
13 of 26
14. Lil Mama: Tao wit my Palz @ishawong @bonita.fatimah Celebrating @suga_plum Happy Birthday Baby💋💕
14 of 26
15. E40: Game 1 @tooshort @fabbydavisjr1 @g_eazy @e40 @warriors #warriorsground #nbafinals2017
15 of 26
16. Brandy: #Muse for @makeupartistgaby - @michael.mann - and @drkariwill ... point blank period! #myfault on putting to much lip gloss.. I didn't have a mirror. Lol
16 of 26
17. Tamar Braxto: 🐥
17 of 26
18. Toya Wright: Swimsuit: @marahoffman Sandals: @maisonvalentino Shades: @cartier
18 of 26
19. Terrence J: @iamerica_mena x @golden_barbie 🔥🔥🔥#tbt #lostfiles
19 of 26
20. Lance Gross: Night before Wedding crew #FeldSoGood
20 of 26
21. Tami Roman: When you become OK with you and all that you are, you exude a light that forces darkness to flee. #ShineOn
21 of 26
22. Ayesha Curry: Look who came to support me !@tameramowrytwo 😍😍😍 loved seeing you today! 🙏🏽
22 of 26
23. Omarion: New shii #O so many 🌊🏄🏾 🌪
23 of 26
24. Rihanna: You ready? @fentybeauty new generation of beauty... coming this FALL!
24 of 26
25. Erica Campbell
25 of 26
26. Naomi Campbell: Such a honor to #run #marathon for #running hearts charity with @natsasupernova's #Nakedheart foundation you should be so proud #Natalia over 100k people running for Children having a better life #Godbless you @izabelgoulart @nike #moscow #moscowuniversity ❤❤❤😘😘🇷🇺🙏🏾 @polinakitsenko
26 of 26
Like TV One on Facebook and be sure to follow us on Instagram and Twitter.