November 21, 2016
When the cast of the highly diverse and inaccessible Broadway musical, Hamilton heard that VP-elect, Mike Pence was in the audience, they decided to cause a scene. Pun intended:
President-elect Donald Trump got wind of the address and wasn’t too happy about it:
The Theater must always be a safe and special place.The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 19, 2016
So many things happened after this moment, it took us a a while to gather our thoughts. Here are 7 things we were all thinking:
1. We know that art often comments on politics, but talk about a bold move for the cast of Hamilton! Mike Pence didn’t even see this coming.
2. Were we the only ones surprised at how well Mike Pence responded to this message? Dare we say impressed?
3. Did you get your life after Ava Duvernay spoke up against Trump’s disapproving tweet?
Artists will never apologize for speaking truth to power. Keep asking. Keep getting put in your place. It’s on. https://t.co/joybQ638RI
— Ava DuVernay (@AVAETC) November 19, 2016
4. #BoycottHamilton is cute. It’s only increasing promotion for the already highly sought after play, though.
— Diamond and Silk® (@DiamondandSilk) November 20, 2016
It could have been worse. After all, Lincoln had a rougher time at the theatre.#BoycottHamilton
— Larry Elder (@larryelder) November 20, 2016
5. How funny is it to see supporters of #BoycottHamilton target the Hamilton Theatre in Canada instead?
— Santo (@Mysonmylife4) November 19, 2016
@HamiltonTheatre I will not be going to your theater. Not because of the Pence thing, but because I’m in California. Stay awesome though!
— Shawn Buzzini (@buzzbros2002) November 20, 2016
6. Yikes! Trump supporters don’t play! They already dug up dirt on Hamilton actor, Brandon Dixon.
— Carrie ❤️America?? (@carrieksada) November 21, 2016
7. Since people are boycotting Hamilton, anyone out there with the hookup? This may be a blessing in disguise.
seriously though if there is someone who wants to #BoycottHamilton and needs to get rid of some tickets I can uh… I can help you out
— Lindsay Ellis (@thelindsayellis) November 20, 2016
TELL US: What are your thought about Hamilton after these chain of events? If you could, would you still go see it?