April 16, 2021
The Director, Public Relations, is critical to the success of the network and network brand image. This position strategizes and implements publicity plans that generate positive trade press and consumer coverage of the network and its assets. A seasoned publicist with a minimum of eight years experience managing and executing all business and trade publicity is desired:
- Work closely with VP on developing PR strategy and campaign plans
- Generate publicity for network programming and branding in consumer, business, and trade press specifically:
- This position will establish and maintain project budgets and timelines, oversee the creation of all press materials, including press kits, electronic press kits, and photography, will schedule and cover talent and executive interviews and oversee unit publicity and photography
- Generate all press materials, including releases, bios captions, talking points, pitch letters, and correspondence
- Maintain and track related budgets
- Contribute to the overall communications efforts, working directly with colleagues across the Ad & Affiliate Sales, Digital Media, Information Technology, and Marketing & Creative Services.
- Strong written, verbal, and editing communication skills
- Strategic thinker and problem-solver
- A strong understanding of television publicity, key-press outlets and journalists, and experience in launching and sustaining a 360 press campaign is essential
- Ability to develop relationships among media and work closely with reporters and editors
- Knowledge of best practices in social and traditional PR
- Deadline oriented and ability to work under pressure
- The position requires an individual who is aggressive and innovative and can handle difficult personalities with aplomb
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize to ensure workflow efficiency
- Must be able to work effectively and efficiently in a high volume, fast-paced environment
- Ability to partner effectively with a variety of departments (Ad Sales, Affiliate Sales, Marketing, etc.) on a number of initiatives
- Possess energy and enthusiasm, and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and direct a team to include but not limited to:
- Provide regular constructive feedback.
- Resolve issues/conflicts with diplomacy promptly.
- Provide ongoing guidance and support for growth and development.
- Deploy effective coaching skills.
- Practical understanding of anti-harassment and discrimination laws.
- Ability to effectively administer performance reviews, and corrective action plans as appropriate.
- The ability to foster an inclusive work environment free of workplace harassment and bullying
- Complies with Network and Urban One’s mandatory training and adheres to related course deadlines.
- Legal right to work in the United States
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
BS/BA degree in Communications, Public Relations or related field and strong interest in the media business preferred. Minimum of 8 years related experience and thorough understanding of social and traditional public relations.
If interested in applying for the Director, Public Relations position, please click the “apply now” button below and attach your resume to the email pop-up box
Notice to California Residents of Collection of Personal Information. When you submit an application, we collect the personal information you provide and that you authorize us to collect on your behalf for the purpose of processing and evaluating your application, verifying the accuracy of the information you provide, and communicating with you about your application.
The information we may collect includes:
- personal identifiers like your name, address, and contact information;
- information about your professional abilities, skills, aptitudes, and background (e.g., educational and professional experience, resumes, curricula vitae, writing samples, and information about your skills, training, and applicable licenses, permits, and certifications);
- information about your character, references, and credentials;
- information about your authorization to work for us;
- information obtained from references, educational institutions, and others you have authorized us to contact (including results of background checks you authorize us to perform if you are offered a position); and
- any other information you elect to provide or authorized us to obtain.
We may collect additional information for the purposes of complying with legal obligations, including criminal background and licensure information that may affect your legal ability to work for us and status information required for the monitoring of equal employment opportunity compliance (e.g., race/ethnicity, disability status, and gender).