The Senior Director of Original Programming and Production will direct and oversee the production of assigned television programs, series, specials and made for TV One movies and mini-series. S/he will oversee the development process from script phase through pilot and series production, providing creative guidance on all story materials, scripts, key hires and editorial cuts. The Senior Director will direct and control aspects of program development and production management for TV One, enforce program requirements, and assure that the programs produced for and/or licensed by TV One enhance the network’s identity, competitive standing, ratings and advertising sales.
- Shop the creative marketplace for TV One brand-defining programming concepts that have potential and can meet the overall programming goals of the network.
- Solicit, pitch and evaluate made for television movie and scripted series submissions.
- Manage the development of select original programs and licensed programs according to the TV One’s established programming vision, master plan and budget.
- Establish and maintain industry relationships with industry professionals by taking meetings with writers, showrunners, producers, agents, talent managers, production companies and talent.
- Identify, research and develop original programming content for TV One, including series, specials and studio shows that will drive audience viewership and sales revenue.
- Recruit suitable talent, independent producers and production companies to provide compelling programming ideas for televised content, series, specials and movies.
- Solicit and evaluate scripts, treatments, sizzles, presentations, programming submissions and potential talent on behalf of the network.
- Provide timely feedback to producers, talents, production companies and their representatives, as needed.
- Communicate and enforce TV One’s editorial requirements and production quality standards to production vendors from the earliest stages of development and pre-production through production and delivery.
- Manage all aspects of program production from development through production and final delivery, ensuring that all assigned content adheres to TV One’s creative, technical, and business goals.
- Provide editorial management of multiple productions simultaneously and evaluate the performance of such productions against the network’s desired outcomes.
- Enforce and/or reinforce the network’s production policies and procedures and creative standards to hold the producers, production companies and talent accountable for what they produce for, and deliver to, the network.
- Prepare and manage production schedules and generate periodic reports on production status and deliverables.
- Ensure the efficient information flow of production needs, delivery dates and other related production information to and from the production and the network.
- Contribute to department presentations and communications, as needed.
- Attend markets, festivals and industry events to identify potential talent, producers, production companies and programming suppliers.
- Work with VP, Original Programming and Production, to identify programming trends and formats that would maximize audience viewership.
- Develop, allocate and complete various special projects as assigned by VP, Original Programming and Production.
- Stand in for VP, Original Programming and Production, as directed and as needed.
- Mid to high-level experience with developing and/or producing feature length films and/or scripted comedies and dramas.
- Strong knowledge of, or proven relationships with writers, showrunners, directors, producers, production companies and/or their representatives.
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to conduct strong programming presentations.
- Experience in managing various program formats (e.g., movies, reality, game-shows, factual, documentaries).
- An ability to multi-task and work effectively under changing priorities and time constraints.
- Knowledge of television, film, and media content of interest to the African-American audience.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Legal right to work in the United States.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and 5+ years’ experience in a production development and management role with a broadcast or cable television network or production company.
If interested in applying for the Sr. Director, Original Programming & Production position, please click the “apply now” button below and attach your resume to the email pop up box.
Notice to California Residents of Collection of Personal Information. When you submit an application, we collect the personal information you provide and that you authorize us to collect on your behalf for the purpose of processing and evaluating your application, verifying the accuracy of information you provide, and communicating with you about your application.
The information we may collect includes:
- personal identifiers like your name, address, and contact information;
- information about your professional abilities, skills, aptitudes and background (e.g., educational and professional experience, resumes, curricula vitae, writing samples, and information about your skills, training, and applicable licenses, permits, and certifications);
- information about your character, references, and credentials;
- information about your authorization to work for us;
- information obtained from references, educational institutions, and others you have authorized us to contact (including results of background checks you authorize us to perform if you are offered a position); and
- any other information you elect to provide or authorized us to obtain.
We may collect additional information for the purposes of complying with legal obligations, including criminal background and licensure information that may affect your legal ability to work for us and status information required for the monitoring of equal employment opportunity compliance (e.g., race/ethnicity, disability status, and gender).