The Manager, Public Relations is critical to the success of TV One’s original factual entertainment, unscripted and reality series, news specials, as well as the network’s brand image. This position strategizes and implements publicity plans that generate positive consumer and trade press coverage of the network’s programming, leading to awareness and viewership. The Manager, Public Relations must work closely with the SVP, Public Relations and Director, Public Relations and collaborate with Network programming executives and staff, executive producers, scheduling, marketing, creative services, social media, digital, CDM, ad sales and research teams to develop and implement publicity strategy. The Manager, Public Relations must also work closely with outside producers, agents and talent for Network programs. Candidate must be a good communicator who is organized, inspires confidence and can manage multiple projects simultaneously under deadline pressures.
- Manage, oversee and/or execute multiple communications and program publicity campaigns, including development and implementation of press strategies for TV One’s factual entertainment, unscripted, reality, docu-series and news specials, as well as supporting industry, trade and corporate communications initiatives.
- This position works closely with personal publicists and actors or on-air personalities to prioritize and maximize talent participation in publicity activities. This role serves as the key publicity team contact with producers, directors, studio partners, business affairs, legal, post production and many other constituencies and disseminates information to all.
- This position establishes and maintains project budgets and timelines; oversees creation of all press strategies and materials, including press kits, electronic press kits, video/broadcast/digital clips for press use and photography; schedules and covers talent and executive interviews; and oversees unit publicity and photography.
- Contribute to the overall marketing and communications efforts, working directly with colleagues across the Ad & Affiliate Sales, Digital Media, Information Technology, CDM, Marketing & Creative Services, and Network Ops.
- Gathers information for press material development and writes and edits press releases, bios, press briefings, talking points, press kits and creative, and manages the flow of this information to television critics, editors and writers. Pitches programming to press, evaluates and follows up on media requests, and develops and manages close working relationships with members of the media, including print, electronic, radio and digital outlets.
- Coordinates press interviews, briefings, media teleconferences, press conferences, satellite media tours, radio media tours and other controlled media outreach. Manage trade media announcements related to new talent, series or personnel changes/promotions.
- Generate high-impact editorial placements in key national consumer and trade publications.
- Organizes and/or helps organize press appearances and events, including seminars, press briefings, screenings, partnerships, media tours, screenings, presentations for the twice-yearly Television Critics Association tour, Awards submissions and FYC campaigns, and annual cable and industry events, such as INTX, Realscreen, PromaxBDA Conference, and more
- Other duties as assigned by the SVP, Public Relations and Director, Public Relations.
- Well established television industry, cable, broadcast, entertainment, celebrity, general market consumer and African American/urban media contacts is essential, as well as an ability to cultivate and nurture relationships with members of the media.
- A strong understanding of television publicity, key press outlets/journalists and experience in launching and sustaining press coverage on TV series is essential.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines and be able and willing to work on multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
- Must be detail and deadline oriented and handle a complex and ever-changing workload in a timely and efficient manner.
- Superb written, verbal and interpersonal skills are essential as is an ability to think creatively and generate new ideas.
- Must be an independent and strategic thinker who is a strong, collaborative team player and willing to take responsibility for project oversight.
- The position requires an individual who is aggressive and innovative and has the ability to handle difficult personalities with grace, diplomacy and a sense of humor.
- Must be a flexible team player with ability to work long hours, nights and weekends when required
- Proficient in Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Candidate also must be familiar with media relations tools such as Cision/Vocus, TVEyes, Critical Mention. Knowledge of Constant Contact or Mad Mimi a plus.
- AP Stylebook literacy a plus.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
BS/BA degree in Communications, Public Relations or related field and strong interest in the media business preferred. Minimum of 6-8 years related experience and thorough understanding of social and traditional public relations. PR experience with a production company, studio, network or entertainment PR agency preferred.
If interested in applying for the Manager, Public Relations (Trade/Unscripted) position, please click the apply now button located at the top of this page and attach your resume to the email pop up box.