The Director of Legal and Business Affairs is the secondary manager of the Legal and Business Affairs department, and will be responsible for providing business and legal support to all departments of TV One, including Original Programming & Production, Content Distribution & Marketing, Marketing & Creative Services, Operations, Public Relations, Research and Talent.
- Structure, negotiate and draft a variety of content acquisition agreements including, production, co-production and acquisition/license agreements, on-air talent and performer agreements, agreements for services, venue agreements, option purchase agreements, information technology agreements, software license agreements and other strategic partnership deals for the network.
- Counsel internal clients on a variety of legal issues including, contractual interpretation, intellectual property, rights of privacy, publicity, unions, on-air promotion, and music licensing and clearance.
- Review proposed on-air content and advise regarding matters of defamation, privacy and related claims, and rights and clearance issues.
- Assist in managing TV One’s litigation portfolio, as well as managing outside counsel in litigation and other matters.
- Provide targeted legal support via content distribution agreements for the distribution of TV One’s network via cable, satellite, VOD, and alternate media.
- Effectively represent TV One with third parties including, outside counsel, strategic partners, and vendors.
- Foster and manage relationships with TV One internal departments including, Programming, Content Distribution and Marketing, Marketing, Operations, Public Relations, Research and Talent.
- Prepare status reports and other organizational tools as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Creative in negotiating and drafting clear and concise agreements.
- Ability to prioritize and take initiative.
- Consistent attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively under changing priorities and time constraints.
- High-degree of confidentiality.
- Mature judgment in devising and implementing legal solutions to advance business goals.
- Legal right to work in the United States.
J.D. from an accredited law school and a member of the California, New York, Maryland or DC bars. Must have a minimum of 5 years of prior legal experience with a cable channel or network. A minimum of 7 years of television industry experience preferred.
If interested in applying for the Director, Legal & Business Affairs position, please click the “apply now” button below and attach your resume to the email pop up box.