October 5, 2021
The Director, Public Relations, is critical to the success of TV One and CLEO TV’s network and brand image. This position strategizes and implements publicity plans that generate positive trade press and consumer coverage of the network and its assets. This role is also critical to the success of TV One’s original entertainment programming, including reality and scripted series, original movies, award shows and music specials, as well as the network’s brand image. This position strategizes and implements publicity plans that generate positive consumer and industry press coverage of the network’s programming, leading to awareness and viewership. A seasoned publicist with minimum of eight years’ experience managing and executing all business and trade publicity is desired.
- Works directly with the PR department Senior Vice President (SVP) on developing PR strategy and campaign plans.
- Generate publicity for network programming and branding in consumer, business and trade press.
- Manage all press materials, including releases, bio captions, talking points, pitches and media correspondence.
- Direct/manage the work of the PR department’s Public Relations & Asset Coordinator.
- Works closely with the PR & Asset Coordinator in engaging with the personal publicists and actors or on-air personalities to prioritize and maximize talent participation in publicity activities; this role will have contact with producers, directors, studio partners, business affairs, legal, post production and many other constituencies and disseminates information to all.
- Assist managing/tracking related budgets.
- Work closely/in tandem with designated staff members of Marketing & Creative Services,
- Day-to-day oversight of the PR department’s external PR agencies.
- Contribute to the overall communications efforts, working directly with colleagues across the enterprise including Marketing and Creative Services, Ad Sales, Digital Media, Information Technology et al.
- Other duties as assigned by the SVP, Public Relations.
- Proficient in using Cision, TVEyes, ConstantContact and other online PR and earned media software platforms.
- Proficient in MS Outlook and Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), presentation platforms (e.g. Canva, Prezi, et al.) and graphics (e.g. Adobe/PhotoShop).
- Well-established television industry, cable, broadcast, entertainment, celebrity, general market consumer and African American/urban media contacts is essential, as well as an ability to cultivate and nurture relationships with members of the media.
- Ability to develop relationships among diverse and mainstream media and work closely with reporters and editors.
- A strong understanding of television publicity, key press outlets/journalists and experience in launching and sustaining press coverage on TV series is desired.
- Strong written, verbal and editing communication skills.
- Strategic thinker and problem-solver.
- Experience in launching and sustaining a 360 press campaign is essential.
- Knowledge of best practices in social and traditional PR.
- Deadline-oriented and ability to work under pressure.
- Proactive and innovative and has the ability to handle difficult personalities with aplomb.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to multi-task and prioritize to ensure workflow efficiency.
- Must be able to work effectively and efficiently in a high volume, fast-paced environment
- Ability to partner effectively with a variety of departments (e.g. Marketing and Creative Services, Ad Sales, CDM etc.) on a number of initiatives.
- Possess energy and enthusiasm, and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
- Legal right to work in the United States.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
BS/BA degree in Communications, Public Relations or related field is required. Minimum of 8 years related experience and thorough understanding of social and traditional public relations. Knowledge and previous experience in the cable/television and entertainment industry is preferred.
If interested in applying for the Director, Public Relations position, please click the “apply now” button below and attach your resume to the email pop-up box
Notice to California Residents of Collection of Personal Information. When you submit an application, we collect the personal information you provide and that you authorize us to collect on your behalf for the purpose of processing and evaluating your application, verifying the accuracy of the information you provide, and communicating with you about your application.
The information we may collect includes:
- personal identifiers like your name, address, and contact information;
- information about your professional abilities, skills, aptitudes, and background (e.g., educational and professional experience, resumes, curricula vitae, writing samples, and information about your skills, training, and applicable licenses, permits, and certifications);
- information about your character, references, and credentials;
- information about your authorization to work for us;
- information obtained from references, educational institutions, and others you have authorized us to contact (including results of background checks you authorize us to perform if you are offered a position); and
- any other information you elect to provide or authorized us to obtain.
We may collect additional information for the purposes of complying with legal obligations, including criminal background and licensure information that may affect your legal ability to work for us and status information required for the monitoring of equal employment opportunity compliance (e.g., race/ethnicity, disability status, and gender).
Mandatory Vaccination Requirement.
Urban One, Inc. and its divisions (collectively “Urban One” or the “Company”) have implemented a mandatory vaccination policy pursuant to which all employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment to safeguard their health and well-being, as well as that of their coworkers, families, and the community at large, from the risks associated with COVID-19. Candidates should be aware that new employees will be required to be vaccinated by their start date, meaning they have received all of the recommended doses for either a one dose or two dose COVID-19 vaccine, and provide proof of vaccination status (e.g. CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card) , which will be kept confidential. Urban One is an equal opportunity employer, and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those who are unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief or a medical disability where it does not pose an undue hardship on the Company to do so as provided under federal, state, and local law.