April 16, 2021
The Vice President, Public Relations conceives, plans, and directs the full scope of TV One and CLEO TV (“TV One Networks”) communications and public relations strategies, including corporate communications, program publicity, media relations, public affairs, talent relations, social media initiatives, viewer services, and investor relations. This position is responsible for working with senior management to develop positive messaging priorities about the company and its activity and securing placement of that messaging appropriate consumer, trade, business, and new media outlets. This position oversees the development and implementation of publicity and communications strategies that utilize all media platforms and outlets – including traditional print, electronic and new media -as appropriate, to increase the external awareness and positive profile of the company and the activity across all of its departments and businesses.
In addition, this position is responsible for assisting and directing senior executives in all media relations interface and activity, and in securing participation in industry events, as appropriate. This position also serves as the primary spokesperson and chief contact for all media on behalf of both networks and its activity.
- Be a trusted advisor to the President and senior executives in matters relating to public relations guidance and direction.
- Provides strategic direction, guidance, and input in primary areas of the department’s responsibility including program publicity, corporate relations, public relations, talent relations, public affairs, social media initiatives, and viewer services.
- Identify and develop strong relationships within the cable/TV public relations community (consumer, business, and trade) and related agencies.
- Oversee the department’s operating budget in conjunction with Finance.
- Lead and build best in class team and support the development of hired professionals.
- Provides strategic guidance and tactical assistance to executives in preparation for media events and interviews.
- Serves as a key interface with other department leaders to determine the best strategies for print and electronic media management.
- Consults with senior management to maximize the potential of TV One Networks’ programming performance and operation as well as for the development of new business opportunities.
- Serves as primary spokesperson for the network in print and electronic media representations and at public affairs activities and on public relations issues.
- Oversees and maximizes corporate involvement in related trade shows, industry and civic organizations, and industry functions.
- Foster and manage relationships with all internal departments.
- Consults with senior leadership to develop and execute strategies for increasing the profile and perception of the Company – including its executives, programming, talent, and public affairs activities – within the media, industry, government, and other pertinent public constituents.
- Determines and/or creates opportunities to increase Company’s profile through participation in key media coverage, industry functions, press conferences, media, and civic screenings, and public affairs activities.
- Ensures that the department provides thorough and current information regarding Company and related operations and programming to outside constituents in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Ability to lead Public Relations/Communications functions for TV One Networks.
- Knowledge of executing organizational short and long-term media strategies.
- Experience in planning, executing performance against operating budgets.
- Demonstrated leadership and business acumen.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent reputation within the industry and media.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and direct a team to include but not limited to:
- Provide regular constructive feedback
- Resolve issues/conflicts with diplomacy in a timely manner
- Provide ongoing guidance and support for growth and development
- Deploy effective coaching skills
- Practical understanding of anti-harassment and discrimination laws
- Ability to effectively administer performance reviews and corrective action plans, as appropriate
- The ability to foster an inclusive work environment free of workplace harassment and bullying
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, have an excellent ability to set priorities and demonstrate being nimble as work needs arise.
- Legal right to work in the U.S.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
BA degree in related field preferred. Minimum 12 years of experience in Public Relations/Communications industry, including senior-level PR position at a cable or broadcast network.
If interested in applying for the Vice President, Public Relations position, please click the “apply now” button below and attach your resume to the email pop-up box
Notice to California Residents of Collection of Personal Information. When you submit an application, we collect the personal information you provide and that you authorize us to collect on your behalf for the purpose of processing and evaluating your application, verifying the accuracy of the information you provide, and communicating with you about your application.
The information we may collect includes:
- personal identifiers like your name, address, and contact information;
- information about your professional abilities, skills, aptitudes, and background (e.g., educational and professional experience, resumes, curricula vitae, writing samples, and information about your skills, training, and applicable licenses, permits, and certifications);
- information about your character, references, and credentials;
- information about your authorization to work for us;
- information obtained from references, educational institutions, and others you have authorized us to contact (including results of background checks you authorize us to perform if you are offered a position); and
- any other information you elect to provide or authorized us to obtain.
We may collect additional information for the purposes of complying with legal obligations, including criminal background and licensure information that may affect your legal ability to work for us and status information required for the monitoring of equal employment opportunity compliance (e.g., race/ethnicity, disability status, and gender).